This is on Ubuntu 9.04 (Gnome).
- Install samba, open firewall, etc.
- sudo smbpasswd -a someuser to manually create the account for samba because automatic account sync with the system accounts didn't work.
- net usershare info to show user shares (those created by non-root users; these are what gnome's nautilus creates).
- net usershare add music /home/someuser/Music/ "" someuser:F
- It may take a few seconds to take effect.
- http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/net.8.html for more info on the net command.
Update Oct 25, 2011: You still need to create the samba user in Ubuntu 11.04.